New Name for SWF
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has recently announced the renaming of Stewart International Airport to “New York Stewart International Airport”. The change was made in an effort to rebrand the airport as a convenient, low-cost option for travelers and hopefully attract more airline service and passengers.
The airport was originally named “Stewart” in 1930 when Archie Stewart, an aviation buff and descendant of a prominent local dairy farmer Lachlan Stewart, along with his uncle, Samuel Lachlan Stewart, donated 220 acres of land to the City of Newburgh to be used as an airport. The City of Newburgh did nothing with the property and in the late 30’s General Douglas MacArthur spearheaded the efforts to acquire the undeveloped property to build an aviation training facility. Construction was completed in 1942 and Stewart Field became an Aviation training facility for West Point Cadets. The Department of Defense deactivated Stewart Field in 1969, and transferred ownership to the NY State DOT. The NY State DOT expanded the main runway and began charter and cargo service in 1970. The first scheduled commercial service started in 1990. SWF is now about 2400 acres, similar in same size to EWR.
Emergency Landing at Stewart
The AvPORTS management team supervised the EOC and emergency response of a private charter aircraft as it landed on Stewart’s 9/27 runway. The Gulfstream Aerospace G-IVC jet blew two tires as it took off from Teterboro Airport that morning. The plane was bound for London Luton Airport in England. Emergency procedures were put in place as the OEC was fully staffed with county officials, emergency management personnel, police department, and other key airport personnel. The aircraft landed safely with no injuries and the airport reopened within an hour after landing, once the runway was inspected and cleared of FOD.